Sunday 24 July 2016

Welcome to my Blog

Proud to be "The City Of Culture 2017",  Kingston Upon Hull, or 'Ull as we all fondly call our fantastic city has been a major part of my life having lived here for 34 years. As a young girl growing up on the West Side of the City, I have always been interested in our history and heritage, reading books from Harry Cartlidge, to looking at postcards from Kenneth F. Elsom. The well known "Memories of Hull" books filled me with excitement, pouring over the amazing photographs of our town in the II World War days and seeing buildings I never knew existed.

Born in 1981, I can remember the ABC Cinema on the right, next to Paragon Railway Station,  Although I never visited this cinema, I do recall it being demolished in 2004 when St Stephens was being built.  In the mid 1990's I regularly went to Cecil Cinema where I watched "The Brady Bunch", "Monkey Trouble" and "Baby's Day Out! I was also a regular visitor to the UCI on St. Andrew Quay before it's closure in 2004. Megabowl and Jazzbo Browns where a major part of  growing up in my teens, playing pool, drinking underage and playing on the punching machine. 

Before the days of  photo ID, my first ever drink was at Tower Nightclub, or "Tower for an Hour" Grab a Granny at the age of 15. I was drinking in town from about 1998. I loved the Marina at this time and used to go for Friday Night drinks in Pepis, Tropical Nights, Baltic Wharf and Green Bricks, before moving onto George Street to either visit Dram Shop, Venu, Biarritz, Room, Planet Earth or Sharkeys.  Another favourite of mine was Circus Circus, Oasis, LA's and the Eclipse Nightclub on Anne Street.  Do you remember the original "Retro" bar, Central Park" and "Chequers/Bedroom"? 

Hull Cheese and Macy's were also a popular destination, along with Yates and The Sandringham on Paragon Street. 

Living in Hessle later in life I enjoyed drinking in  Norland, Plonkers, Marquis Of Granby, Admiral and Top House.

As you can see I love a good drink and hope to bring you more information on Hull pubs and lost pubs of Hull, although you can visit, Paul Gibson's site for lots of Hull's old pubs and nightclubs.

I will also be dedicating posts to Hull Photographers, Authors, Hull City A.F.C,  Charities, Tradesmen and more, so feel free to contact me to have a feature spot on my blog. I will also be reviewing products, giving information on upcoming events, telling tales of hull ghost sightings and paranormal activity, posting photographs and reporting on all things Hull that I can find.

I really hope you will subscribe to my Blog, like the page on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, share with friends, family and relatives, and be proud to be from Hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment